- 24/7 on call for labor and birth and other urgent prenatal or postpartum concerns.
- Email support for non-urgent questions and concerns.
- Comprehensive, holistic and attentive prenatal care including referrals for laboratory and diagnostic screening.
- Continuous presence through active labor, birth, and the immediate postpartum period as well as the presence of a second midwife or skilled certified birth assistant.
- Postpartum maternal care: a minimum of 3 in-home postpartum visits and 1 or more office visits for evaluation of maternal vitals, bleeding, well being, and emotional support.
- Well baby care and weight checks at each postpartum visit.
- Breastfeeding support.
- Community building with opportunities to meet other home birth families.
- Referrals and recommendations to alternative health providers including doulas, and products to support you through pregnancy, postpartum and the newborn period (you will incur extra cost should you choose to use these services).
- Collaboration and coordination of referral should consultation with a physician be required for mother and/or baby.
- Collaboration with a professional billing service to try to get the maximum reimbursement possible from your insurance. (See below)
- Comprehensive prenatal visits covering a wide range of topics and careful screening processes. I will spend time during each visit checking in on you and your baby’s well being. We will spend time getting to know each other, discussing and preparing for your birth, exploring your hopes, expectations and fears.
- Until 28 weeks we will meet every 4 weeks and you will be offered routine laboratory tests and diagnostic screening options.
- From 28 until 36 weeks we will meet every 2 weeks.
- The 36 week visit will be at your home. This visit includes my birth assistant, your partner and anyone else planning to attend your birth even if they have no specific role and a doula if you’ve opted for one.
- From 36 weeks on we meet weekly.
Labor & Birth
I am on call 24/7 throughout your due window (37 – 42 weeks) and ready to attend you once you are in active labor. I remain with you, providing one on one care until after the baby is born. My primary responsibility is the well-being of you and your baby. A second midwife or assistant will join us for the birth of the baby.
- After the baby is born I will come to your home for regular postpartum visits in the first week.
- During these visits I will examine and weigh the baby and check your physical and emotional well being.
- I do visits at 24 hours, 3 days, 5-7 days, 14 days, and 6 weeks but often do a variation of this depending on specific needs.
I work closely with an insurance biller. We work hard together to get the best possible legal reimbursement for you. Everyone has different insurance; different plans, deductibles, out-of-pocket, allowables, in-network exceptions, etc. Insurance doesn’t always provide coverage or, if it does, there is usually no way to know in advance how much they will pay. PPOs and HSAs are more likely to reimburse for Licensed Midwives (LM). Insurance plans at Apple specifically cover Licensed Midwives as in-network providers and plans at FaceBook, Google and Adobe are also LM friendly. My biller and I will work diligently to get you the best reimbursement possible. Here’s more on Insurance and Home Birth from Pacific Community Midwives.